While it was my knack for storytelling that inspired me to become a journalist, it’s my thirst for adventure that made me who I am today. It was while living in England for three years that I discovered my passion for exploring the world and that, as a journalist, what really makes me happy is searching for stories that mean something to me. Early on, I knew I wanted my stories to help people make tough decisions, like my story explaining each of the 17 propositions on the ballot in California during the 2017 elections, and help affect change, like my multimedia project that helped San Diego residents realize the impact they have on the marine mammal population in their community. Since then, I’ve honed my skills and found that whether breaking news — brush fire, shooting, protest or covid-related — coverage, an in-depth feature story, or a cutting-edge business piece, each tells a unique and important story. And now, I’m looking forward to continuing to explore and change the world one story at a time.
Some of my specialties include:
• Conversing in English, Spanish and Portuguese
• Demonstrating good news judgment
• Proposing innovative, new story angles and ideas
• Creating multimedia news packages, including videos, stills, text and infographics
• Writing and editing for various platforms, including print, online and broadcast
• Utilizing social media and SEO analytical tools to enhance a story
• HTML and CSS coding
• Graphic design using Adobe Creative Cloud
When I’m not hard at work on a story for The San Diego Union-Tribune, I enjoy all things Disney, traveling with my 6-year-old pup and snowboarding.